|Q1) My wife would like to open a make-up business for women only, however, she is concerned if its allowed in islam to open such business? There will be no eye brow plucking, hair waxing or cutting. It is only make up on face.Q2) Also, what can she do to make it islamically correct? What things should she be careful of in this business?
Q3) Is it allowed to open a business for manicure, pedicure for women only?
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful
Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatuh
1) It is permissible for a woman to run a make up business for women only, on condition there is no unIslamic services provided (e.g. no hair cutting, no eye brow plucking etc.)
2) The ideal would be if this business is carried out from your home so as to make it easier for your wife to abide by the laws of hijab. Caution should also be taken that only those items should be used which contains halal ingredients. Another point is that generally those who carry out such businesses tend to maintain photography at their working quarters and advertisements. This is prohibited in Shariah.
3) According to our understanding, manicure and pedicure involves:
· Soaking the hands or feet
· Filing and shaping the nails
· Buffing the nails
· Caring for ingrown nails
· Applying mask and acetone
· Removing cuticles
· Massaging the hands and feet
If this is what is intended in the query, it would be permissible to open a manicure and pedicure business for women only. If there is any other services included, you may inform us, and we will then issue the relevant ruling of Shariah.
And Allah knows best
Ml. Ismail Moosa,
Checked and Approved by:
Mufti Ebrahim Desai